Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Howard Whitney Hoffman married Eleanor Osborne Riggs on Nov 30, 1933 at St. Ann's Church in Amsterdam, NY.  This happened to be Thanksgiving Day in 1933.  My mother's gown was in our attic for many years but I don't know what became of it. I remember it being of a light brown in color, perhaps the color of mocha.  Until recently, I had never come across a marriage certificate.  However,  I have just had Oakes Framing frame some copies of marriage certificates along with pictures of the couple. (In some cases, these pictures are NOT taken on the wedding date...in fact, those of my maternal grandparents are of them when they were MUCH older.) However, this effort has resulted in my obtaining a copy of Howard and Eleanor's marriage certificate from church.  What a thrill.  It is the first time I have ever seen my father's signature! And, not only that, but it contains the signatures of both his parents, Eleanor's parents and the 4 people who witnessed the marriage! I know this to be true because I can recognize the signature of three of the people involved...that of my mother, maternal grandmother and my Uncle Austin who was my mother's brother.I love the fact that future generations will not only have records of marriages but will be able to associate pictures with the records!




1 comment:

  1. Anne - is this their wedding photo or one taken later? I have another photo scanned that I think is your mom-

    ReplyDelete